8 Reasons You Need To Hire An Interior Designer
With so many new services for interior decorating and design help, I’ve heard a lot of chatter about the how’s and why’s. Where is the best place to hire them and how do you know if you are making the right decision?
The majority of the people I work with in interior styling all send me links to Pinterest, and they all want the same thing. These people are playing small. If you hire an interior decorator, the space should be turned into a one of a kind, cohesive space. Not a copy of the last blogger you saw. Allow a designer to do his or her job, and you won’t be disappointed. Also, “You get what you pay for” could not be truer than in this field.
1. Focus on other things. Most people have 9-5 jobs, and after that, they have little to no energy, and what they do have left is given to other responsibilities. Nobody wants to spend their Sunday in wallpaper and fabric stores. The stress alone can kill you. Hire a professional whose job it is to help you. We’re here to help you so you can focus on the important things.
2. The mix makes sense. Mixing metallics, furniture styles, colors, etc. can be a hard decision for some. You might see stripes and florals, but your designer sees a sitting room fit for a queen. Trust your designer, and he/she will do what is best for the room. It might scare you a little bit, but at the end, you’ll see it all come together.
3. A professional assessment. When you are shopping for a designer/decorator to work on your home, you want to make sure you are getting the right information. Pay for a proper consultation. Don't skimp out and try to get decor advice for free. You want someone to help with the overall layout, look and feel of your home; you want it to make sense. You're not going to get proper advice by asking for tips here and there. Your home is your sanctuary, and you want it to nurture your lifestyle and family. A professional will be able to come in and let you know what's working and what is not.
4. You will save money! Sign a contract with a designer, and you can save money. Decorators know where to purchase things for half the price. You can buy something at Bloomingdales, and they can buy the same thing for less! You want someone who is experienced and knows the right and wrong ways of doing things.
5. Increase your value. A good designer will have the ability to turn your home into a space ready for a magazine or showcase. If you know you are going to sell your home in a few years, you want it designed for resale at some point. You are going to need stellar photos to help sell your home, and there are specific ways to enhance your home for photography. These things designers know. If this is the case, try asking a real estate agent for the name of a designer in your area, they typically will have fantastic & dependable resources. Or you could hire our very own Khaled Bourtal (link to Instagram).
6. The bad guy. When you are renovating or working on a home, you want someone who will ask the right questions and fight for you. Contractors, electricians, inspectors and the like can be pretty intimidating. It's nice to have a middleman (your designer) who can ask questions for you, get things done for you and be the "bad guy" and stand up on your behalf. Many of my clients are so nice and hate to ask for more than what they are given. A designer will do that for you.
7. Unique ideas. A designer is going to come up with things you wouldn't normally think of. Designers will be able to come up with unique solutions for your home and, with the ability to avoid costly mistakes. The more unique the space, the cooler it is, this is why you want a designer who understands your personality. Tip: Don't just hire any designer! Have a meeting or lunch, see how you get along with that person.
8. Get more sleep. Check off all those on your list. I know you sit up at night wondering how the dining room would look in a new color or wondering when you’ll have time to get to the cabinet store to reorganize the laundry room. A designer/decorator will be the person who will get things done like frame that art that's been sitting in your closet. They will also bring all the right elements into the bedroom so you can get a good night’s sleep, better than if you had thrown some things together.
I believe in having a home that works well is the key to a successful life. When your home is organized, pulled together, makes sense and there is a place for everything, chances are things in your life are working well.